Friday, February 25, 2011

Link: IKEA Hackers Earring Display

The IKEA Tolsby frame is pretty impressive-looking for something that costs under a buck.





IKEA Hackers has managed to find another use for it... an earring display.

The concept is pretty easy, and you could probably do it with almost any frame. Basically, you just install a piece of cheap plastic cross-stitch canvas (yeah, the stuff you might have been subjected to in grade school where you "cross-stitch" with yarn and a monstrous plastic needle... you can pick it up for under a buck a sheet at craft stores) in where the picture would go. On a Tolby frame this takes a whopping 30 seconds to cut the plastic cross stitch canvas to the right size and drop it in the top of the frame.

I just made one earlier tonight for about $1.25. Oh boy... I'm a big spender! There'd be pics, but I dropped my camera the other week trying to get some photos of another project I'm working on and I completely busted my fabulous Canon point-and-shoot. Just... just take my word for it, okay, while I go sit in the corner and sob over the corpse of my beloved camera that I'm feeling too cheap at the moment to replace.

You know, for something that took less than a minute and cost about the same as a chocolate bar, it's pretty damn spiffy looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment